[ddp] libppi-perl : Parse, Analyze and Manipulate Perl without perl

daily-debian-package at enix.org daily-debian-package at enix.org
Thu Oct 25 12:00:16 CEST 2007

Hello,

Today, I'm happy to present you the Debian package libppi-perl, which
is part of the perl section, and maintained by Florian Ragwitz
<rafl at debian.org>.

This package contains : Parse, Analyze and Manipulate Perl without
perl.

The ability to read, and manipulate Perl (the language) programmatically other
than with perl (the application) was one that caused difficulty for a long
time.

The cause of this problem was Perl's complex and dynamic grammar. Although
there is typically not a huge diversity in the grammar of most Perl code,
certain issues cause large problems when it comes to parsing.

The purpose of PPI is not to parse Perl Code, but to parse Perl Documents. By
treating the problem this way, we are able to parse a single file containing
Perl source code "isolated" from any other resources, such as libraries upon
which the code may depend, and without needing to run an instance of perl
alongside or inside the parser.

Package homepage     :
 http://packages.debian.org/unstable/perl/libppi-perl

Package bug homepage :
 http://bugs.debian.org/libppi-perl

Package QA homepage  :
 http://packages.qa.debian.org/libppi-perl

Have fun with Debian packages !

--
Daily Debian package, by Thomas Petazzoni, thanks to Jérome Petazzoni
Daily-debian-package at the-doors.enix.org